Anyone who has been in a car accident understands that there can be quite a few questions afterward. This is especially true if you sustained an injury and are looking to be compensated for the losses incurred as a result of the accident. A qualified East Providence attorney can help you answer all your questions regarding the specifics of your case. 

Below are some of the more popular car accident FAQ’s to help you with some general information prior to securing the services of an experienced attorney.

I suffered an injury from the accident, what are my rights?

If you are injured as a result of a negligent driver, you have the right to hire a qualified attorney. An attorney can help you to get the compensation you need to reclaim your pre-accident quality of life. Car accidents come with a multitude of different costs, and a professional attorney in East Providence may be able to help you recover some of the following:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Vehicle and property damage
  • Permanent physical limitations and disabilities
  • Disfigurement
  • Loss of sustainable income or ability to work
  • Problems associated with marriage and family issues

I was just in an accident, now what?

The time immediately following an accident can be painful, upsetting, and confusing. It is important that you seek qualified medical treatment right away. If possible, try to gather as much evidence at the scene of the accident. This will be extremely helpful for your claim and for a qualified attorney to build a case on your behalf. 

If you are physically able to gather evidence at the accident scene you need to do the following:

  • Take pictures and video of the accident, all vehicles involved, the surrounding area, property damage, and anything else that might seem pertinent at the time. Be thorough and remember that you can’t take too many pictures or too much video. 
  • Make sure to exchange insurance information with the other driver or drivers involved.
  • If there were any eyewitnesses, get their contact information. If possible, get a video of their statement immediately while the accident is still fresh in their mind. 
  • Call the police and get a formal police report 

If your injuries are too severe for you to be able to take any of the above actions, you need to hire an experienced attorney right away. With an attorney on your side, you can rest assured that a thorough investigation will be conducted on your behalf. 

How can I protect my interests after an accident?

After you have been involved in an accident there are a few steps you should take to protect your rights. A qualified attorney will work on your behalf to ensure that these rights are protected and that all evidence and documents are collected properly. An attorney will make sure to:

  • Obtain a police report
  • Get copies of medical records 
  • Gather estimates for the damage to vehicle and repair/replacement costs
  • Get proof of income documentation
  • Assist with filing a claim with your insurance carrier immediately

Should I give a statement about the accident to the insurance companies?

Definitely not. All you need to do is to file your claim with your insurance company. They will want to conduct their own investigation and any statement that you might make could work against you, even without you even realizing you said anything wrong. This is why having a qualified attorney on your side is so important immediately following your accident. 

What if I am partially responsible?

Rhode Island operates under what is called comparative negligence. This means that, depending on your own liability in the accident, you might still be entitled to compensation. For example, if you are determined to be 20% at fault for the accident, then you are still eligible to recover the other 80% of the awarded damages. On a $100,000 settlement, you would still be entitled to $80,000.

This is only applicable for percentages under 50%. If you are determined to be 50% responsible or more, you might not be entitled to any type of compensation. 

How long do I have to file my claim?

As with any claim, the sooner you get it filed, the better off you are. In East Providence and Rhode Island in general, there is a statute of limitations for injury-related accidents of 3 years. This means that you have up to 3 years after the accident to file a case. For property damage, the statute of limitations is 10 years. 

However, your insurance company more than likely has requirements listed on your policy for filing a claim. It is important that you read through the policy and understand the terms. It is always in your best interest to file your claim with your insurance company as soon as possible.

Contact Dana and Dana Today

We have the experience necessary to help you with every aspect of your East Providence car accident claim. We can help you with every step of the process, and if you don’t settle your case, we won’t charge you a fee. 

Contact us today for your free East Providence car accident case evaluation.